- Focus: Agriculture & Food Systems
- Relevant Coursework: Foundations of Agriculture & the Environment, Agricultural Climate Change Mitigation, Soil Science, Environmental Protection Clinic, Corporate Water Risk, Food Systems & Environmental Law
- Capstone Project: Analysis of Carbon Sequestration and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Models for Agriculture
Lewis & Clark College Portland, OR
Bachelor of Arts, Environmental Studies, minor in Religious Studies, 2013
The Nature Conservancy Brooklyn, NY
Sustainable Agriculture Specialist December 2022 – present
- Contribute technical leadership in translating the value of nature and conservation into actionable, science-based strategies for businesses that can help solve environmental challenges.
Applied Science Synthesis Program, The Forest School at the Yale School of the Environment New Haven, CT
Postgraduate Research Assistant January 2022 – October 2022
- Address quantitative research needs for moving soil carbon measurement and verification (MRV) initiatives forward for U.S. croplands.
- Develop new approaches to detecting change in soil carbon measurement so as to have increased confidence in a meaningful change in soil carbon.
Yale University, School of the Environment New Haven, CT
Teaching Fellow, ENV 1153 Corporate Water Risk and Strategy Workshop
August 2021 – December 2021
- Conducted market research on produce companies and benchmarked company sustainability. Engaged with client to identify water quality issues at the client’s four US facilities.
- Managed project teams to ensure projects were completed on-time and within scope. Designed and staffed three project work streams with 12 students from across Yale University.
Ground Up Consulting Denver, CO
Consultant August 2020 – December 2021
- Supported the development of grants totaling $1.5 million for the Colorado Soil Health Program: NRCS Federal Conservation Innovation grant, EPA Section 319 grant, and a National Fish and Wildlife Foundation Conservation Partners Program grant.
- Led the iterative strategic planning process for the merger of the Colorado Collaborative for Healthy Soils and the Colorado Coalition to Enhance Working Lands (CO CEWL). Wrote and designed the Annual Report for the newly merged group.
- Supported the implementation of the rollout of the pilot program of the Colorado Soil Health Program to 7 conservation districts.
Mad Agriculture Boulder, CO
Summer Fellow May 2020 – August 2020
- Assisted Director of Policy with a $250,000 USDA grant to develop a soil health rating tool for Colorado through background research synthesizing scientific literature on the importance of soil health.
- Designed and implemented a sensitivity analysis of COMET-Farm, a greenhouse gas emissions accounting tool for agricultural lands. Using data from a MadAgriculture farmer, analyzed the effects of changing management practices on carbon sequestration.
Yale University, Law School New Haven, CT
LAW 30164 Environmental Protection Clinic January 2020 – December 2020
- Ran models to explore the carbon sequestration potential of regenerative agriculture practices using the COMET-Farm greenhouse gas accounting system. Conducted research on using trees as riparian buffers and other methods of planting trees on farmland.
- Developed policy recommendations to address barriers to widespread regenerative agriculture implementation in the United States.
The Edlavitch DC Jewish Community Center Washington, DC
Director of Jewish Engagement July 2017 – April 2019
Jewish Engagement Manager October 2016 – June 2017
- Facilitated partnership with Hadar, a leader in Jewish education, the only partnership of its kind at a JCC. Exceeded goals with over 250 unique participants to 6 programs in 2 years
- Spearheaded Seal of Sustainability certification by creating a Green Team. Revamped recycling system and created ‘Do Not Waste’ campaign for all lights, sinks, and paper towel dispensers
- Warner, A. and Watnick, D. (2021). Soil Health Policy: Developing Community-Driven State Soil Health Policy and Programs. Yale Center for Business and the Environment.
- Bradford, M.A., Carey, C.J., Kane, D.A., Oldfield, E.E., Watnick, D., Wood, S.A. (2021). Understanding Soil Carbon Science To Identify Strategies for Climate Mitigation and Adaptation. Aspen Global Change Institute Quarterly Research Review, March 2021
LEADERSHIP & VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
Yale Food Systems Symposium New Haven, CT
Symposium Chair August 2020 – February 2021
- Raised $10,000, managed logistics and 10 volunteers for the biannual student-run conference in February 2021